Thursday 4 July 2013

Support Independent Retailers - Independent's Day 4th July

Today in the UK it is Independents Day. A day when we try to raise the profile of independent retailers in an attempt to save our High Streets. Imagine a world where everything you buy is controlled by 5 or 6 giant firms. Everything you buy is going to be controlled by what these people want. The pile it high, sell it cheap mentality rules. There is no place in these giants for individuality or creativity. Employee conditions will also deteriorate - why take care of your employees when there is nowhere else to go? I know it's hard, money is tight (believe me, as an independent retailer myself money is very tight) but even a small purchase at an independent retailer helps. When you purchase from an independent you are helping a family put food on the table, when you purchase from a giant you are adding another number to the balance sheet of a fat cat company that (in many cases) can't even be bothered to pay the tax it should.  

I don't know how much longer I can keep my business going. I should have shut down years ago. I guess there just isn't the market for my kind of work. There are a lot of people out there though who do sell the things that you want/need. Help them before it's too late. Before every shopping centre has exactly the same shops and we live in a world without variety and choice.

http://www.retailindieday.com/

No comments: